I never wanted to join a gym. I’ve stayed in shape for the last 25 years mostly with Jazzercise. That’s right, Jazzercise. Around 2008, I added running. Eventually I was just running (it was so far to drive to the closest class) and as a result I got injured. I realized it was a mistake to cut out weight training/muscle toning.
A few years ago I joined Nockamixon Athletic Club (2010?) and forced myself to like the Step classes and Bootcamp-y type classes. I avoided the whole free weights and weigh machine room workouts. Then the club closed. That sucked. You have no idea how hard it was for me to let go of doing what I’ve always done and try something new, and to commit to it.
I’ve learned a few things about myself and creating a fitness habit:
- I need to workout first thing
- I can’t make it up myself — I have to follow someone else
- I gotta leave the house
- The closer the place, the more likely I’ll go
- The more I do it, the more I do it
- Oh, and until very recently, the place needed to have childcare
Do you belong to a gym? How do you get motivated to workout?